Thursday 7 July 2011

ploughing on !

Did alot more editing over last weekend and on Monday and am making headway although what is interesting is that it's not just about effecting the changes Ive got from feedback/ my mentoring critiques. Reading through the chapters again fairly closely and in context with the novel as a whole often means I am putting in new bits...maybe a sentance here, a paragraph or two there after I have been thinking over a particular section.And of course I am cutting or pruning aswell as I go along. I can't do more than 4 hours in one stretch as I am finding it almost as mentally taxing as just writing. But it is moving along and shaping up rather nicely. The word count needs beefing up to an 80k minimum... I am hovering around 72 k but this changes with each editing session I complete. I'm not hung up on that at the moment though. Best to just keep it all moving.

Bren Gosling

1 comment:

  1. We had a discussion about word counts with Emily -- 80,000 to 120,000 seems to be what's expected with a first novel so you're pretty close. Mike B is up at about 145,000 at the moment.

    I spoke to an agent once and she told me that publishers like short first novels as the translation costs for overseas markets are lower -- and selling to those can make all the difference. Seeing as you have a foreign protagonist living in an international city then you may be able to pitch to the European market.

    ReplyDelete